The most anticipated album of 2012 (well, I guess depending on which demographic you’re asking) has finally arrived. Yes that’s right, Justin Bieber’s Believe finally hit stores and iTunes today, where it immediately took the top spot in album sales. A lot was expected from Biebs in this album but did he deliver? I’m no music expert and if you looked at my iTunes you’d think it was that of a 15-year old girl but I can appreciate good pop music so let’s see if he does. Read more
My favorite re-occuring Grantland piece has always been Reader’s Revenge, which started off as an addendum to “About Last Weekend”, (a feature that used to exist in WritingthePine 1.0 before the “Great Server Crash of 2012.”)
Similar to Deadspin’s “DHF” or Drunken Hookup Failure, but with a wider range of topics, readers participated by contributing great, embarrassing stories that may or may not have been embellished, exaggerated, or just plain fabricated.
However, since the last piece on 5/21/2012, there hasn’t been a new submission. The next topic was supposed to be “The Strangest Place You’ve Ever Woken Up (and the story of how you got there)”
After a twitter question directed at Grantland, and no response, I’m just going to assume that the feature has been discontinued, but probably under some controversy. (I’m looking at you, Shane Ryan).
I have no basis for my theories, but I’ll put it out there nonetheless:
- One of the stories submitted anonymously by someone got back to the offended party. Which lead to accusations, angry emails and threats, and finally a lawsuit or criminal charges of some sort. Good bye Reader’s Revenge.
- Deadspin is suing Grantland and then reporting their lawsuit with ESPN on Deadspin. Snarky Deadspin comment is promoted. +1. Eddie
- Shane Ryan is holed up in a hotel room chainsmoking cigarettes and drinking out of a bathtub filled with whiskey as he meets his Grantland deadline.
- The world just doesn’t have enough “waking up in a strange place” stories. Sensing the end is near, the feature is killed. Shane goes outside and walks his dog for 8 hours.
- Bill Simmons has been put on super-secret suspension by ESPN for gambling. What this has to do with anyone I have no idea.
- It’s coming back Monday and I’m just an impossibly, impatient person to satisfy.
Welcome back, Reader’s Revenge. Welcome back.
(Note: This author’s rant is drawn from his experience living with three other roommates.)
No, this post isn’t about the your second grade science project where you made a volcano. Or the one in third grade where you grew an onion. (Hey now. We’re not here to judge the quality of my childhood science projects.) But rather, it’s what my roommates and I like to call that tupperware container you’ve left in the fridge for the past four months. Please allow me to rant. Thank you. Read more