So last night the highly anticipated Dream Team documentary finally aired and it did not disappoint. It was riveting to see tape from the practices as well as the infamous scrimmage against the college kids. On top of that, it was just cool to see highlights and clips from these Olympics because it helped me to to appreciate more how special and unique that team was. I was only 7 years old at the time the Dream Team assembled so while I know I watched them, I’m sure I didn’t really grasp what I was watching. Only as I grew older did I realize how great that team was. Which makes me wonder where I can find full videos of all the games the Dream Team played. Anybody?
Anyway, here are some random thoughts I had while watching the doc:
- Charles Barkley is the man. It’s not shocking that he got the most airtime out of everybody. It’s nice to see somebody on TV try to be himself and that he hasn’t changed much since his playing days. With that said, I would LOVE to hang out with him off camera and see him hold NOTHING back.
- LOL @ Bobby Hurley – first with his braces and now to see that he looks older than arguably everybody else in the documentary. Even David Stern.
- I’m still wondering how that scrimmage against the college kids was thrown. Chuck Daly didn’t make adjustments? Michael Jordan didn’t play much? The team had 11 Hall of Famers for fuck’s sake and they’re losing to a bunch of college kids? I’m not saying the Dream Team sucks obviously but to say the game was thrown seems like a stretch to me. They clearly just weren’t trying. Then again, maybe I just hate Coach K. Go UNC.
- Speaking of Jordan, I think this doc further showed how much more dominant the guy was than everyone else during his playing days (well, at least after Magic and Bird got older). It’s like he wasn’t just revered by fans around the world, but by other players as well. Everyone seemed to have recognized his dominance and again, I wish I was older when he played so I could appreciate more how great he truly was. <3 MJ.
- My mom (in perfect Engrish): “MJ used to be so handsome. What happened?”
- My mom (in perfect English): “Patrick Ewing is still ugly.”
- Watching this doc and hearing all this talk about egos and how everyone wanted to prove to everybody how great they were sadly just made me think about LeBron. smh. SMFH.
- We need another great white player. Like, leading team to multiple championships great.
- LOL @ Jordan calling Mullin “Mullins.”
- I wonder if Magic came into the league today, if coaches would try to harness his playing style and if he’d get ripped because of the flashiness to his game. Now granted, if he was winning championships then I’m sure no one would really say anything but I wish coaches would just let players be themselves. Counting down the days until Ricky Rubio recovers from his injury. I’m also wondering if cameras caught a player saying “HEE HEE” while dropping a no-look pass, what people would say.
- “I can’t imagine how much ass these guys got in Barcelona….I will never see that much ass in my life.” @EVILG_NIUS – Or La Jolla. Or Portland. Or Monaco. OR ANYWHERE.
- How creepy did Scottie Pippen look while walking the beach in Monaco. Good thing his shades were pitch black.
- C’mon Karl. You know the exact reason why John Stockton could walk around the streets of Barcelona without anyone noticing him and why you couldn’t. You damn know well why.
- That was the most exhilarating 15 seconds of my life too, boo.